Utlimate Hits of the 80s


Attention!!!

Well, we all love the 80s, some consider it as their favorite decade of songs, although for me I prefer the 90s as I grew up to the likes of pop and alternative rock. The 80s were an awesome decade with the King and Queen of Pop - Michael Jackson and Madonna reigning supreme in the charts throughout the decade. We see alternative rock gaining momentum but only a few bands actually had success. Disco was dying and paving the way for the era of eurodance which gained immense popularity in the early 90s. Some of the greatest artistes and bands of all time came out with their best songs during this time. Dance music was clearly the favorites on the charts, together with major collaborations done by Lionel Richie, Diana Ross, Kylie Minogue, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Stevie Wonder and even Sir Paul McCartney. 

This list is a compilation of the greatest hits released between 1980-1989 by different artistes and bands with the exception of certain artistes who collaborated on duets during this period. I have deliberately excluded other double entries for the sole reason that if that is done then artistes like Madonna, Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie and Whitney Houston will receive many entries and the same will go for bands such as the Culture Club and Queen which would lead to other major artistes and bands who were popular at the time or a particular famous song at the time to be excluded. Therefore, painstakingly I have had to research and find out the best song released by these artistes and bands who were popular at the time. 

Thus, these are the Ultimate Hits of the 80s based on chart performance worldwide as well as accolades received.
  1. Michael Jackson – Billie Jean
  2. Madonna – Like a prayer
  3. Culture Club – Karma chameleon
  4. Kim Carnes – Bette Davis Eyes
  5. Stevie Wonder – I just called to say I love you
  6. Whitney Houston – I wanna dance with somebody
  7. George Michael – Careless whisper
  8. Survivor – Eye of the Tiger
  9. Berlin – Take my breath away
  10. Lionel Richie – Hello
  11. Belinda Carlisle – Heaven is a place on earth
  12. Bon Jovi – Livin’ on a prayer
  13. Olivia Newton John - Physical
  14. Human League – Don’t you want me
  15. Bonnie Tyler – Total eclipse of the heart
  16. Wham! – Wake me up before you go-go
  17. USA for Africa – We are the world
  18. Irene Cara – Flashdance…What a Feeling
  19. A-ha – Take on me
  20. Frankie Goes to Hollywood – Relax
  21. The Police – Every breath you take
  22. Barbra Streisand – Woman in love
  23. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts – I love rock n’ roll
  24. Foreigner – I want to know what love is
  25. Diana Ross & Lionel Richie – Endless love
  26. Los Lobos – La Bamba
  27. Pet Shop Boys – West End Girls
  28. Men at Work – Down under
  29. Lipps Inc. – Funkytown
  30. Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton – Islands in the stream
  31. Kylie Minogue – Locomotion
  32. Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder – Ebony and Ivory
  33. Falco – Rock me Amadeus
  34. Tina Turner – What’s love got to do with it
  35. Prince – Kiss
  36. Queen – Another one bites the dust
  37. Guns N’ Roses – Sweet child of mine
  38. Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes – Up where we belong
  39. Heart – Alone
  40. Steve Miller Band – Abracadabra
  41. Aretha Franklin & George Michael – I knew you were waiting (for me)
  42. Musical Youth – Pass the Dutchie
  43. Elton John – Nikita
  44. Soft Cell – Tainted love
  45. Kenny Rogers – Lady
  46. Billy Joel – Uptown Girl
  47. New Order – Blue Monday
  48. Cyndi Lauper – Girls just want to have fun
  49. The J. Geils Band – Centerfold
  50. Ray Parker Jr. – Ghostbusters
  51. Europe – The final countdown
  52. Jennifer Rush – The power of love
  53. Blondie – Tide is high
  54. Spandau Ballet – True
  55. Dione Warwick – That’s what friends are for
  56. Rick Astley – Never gonna give you up
  57. Peter Gabriel – Sledgehammer
  58. Bananarama – Venus
  59. Roxette – It must have been love
  60. Toto – Africa
  61. REO Speedwagon – Keep on loving you
  62. Dexys Midnight Runner – Come on Eileen
  63. Black Box – Ride on time
  64. Bryan Adams – Heaven
  65. Bette Midler – Wind beneath my wings
  66. Kim Wilde – Cambodia
  67. Kool & the Gang – Celebration
  68. Phil Collins – Against the odds
  69. Lisa Stansfield – All around the world
  70. Kenny Loggins – Footloose
  71. Chris de Burgh – Lady in Red
  72. David Bowie – Let’s dance
  73. Electric Light Orchestra & Olivia Newton John – Xanadu
  74. Air Supply – All out of love
  75. Kaoma – Lambada
  76. Journey – Don’t stop believing
  77. Billy Ocean – When the going gets tough
  78. Bruce Springsteen – Dancing in the dark
  79. Bob Marley – Could you be loved
  80. Adam Ant – Stand and deliver
  81. Baltimora – Tarzan boy
  82. Modern Talking – You’re my heart, you’re my soul
  83. Shakin’ Stevens – Oh Julie
  84. Paula Abdul – Opposites attract
  85. Tiffany – I think we’re alone now
  86. Starship – Nothing’s gonna stop us
  87. The Beach Boys – Kokomo
  88. Milli Vanilli – Girl you know it’s true
  89. Katrina and the Waves – Walkin on sunshine
  90. Bobby McFerrin – Don’t worry be happy
  91. Steve Winwood – Higher love
  92. Chicago – Hard to say I’m sorry
  93. Mr.Mister – Broken Wings
  94. The Jam – Town called malice
  95. Linda Ronstadt ft. Aaron Neville – Don’t know much
  96. Soul II Soul – Back to life (However do you want me)
  97. Salt N’ Pepa – Push it
  98. Laura Branigan – Gloria
  99. Bee Gees – You win again
  100. ABBA – Super Trouper
  101. Simple Minds – Don’t you forget about me
  102. Jan Hammer – Miami Vice Theme
  103. Tight Fit – The Lions sleeps tonight
  104. John Lennon – Just like starting over
  105. Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers – Swing the mood
  106. The Bangles – Eternal Flame
  107. Cher – If I could turn back time
  108. Technotronic – Pump up the jam
  109. Paul Hardcastle – 19
  110. Samantha Fox – Touch me (I want your body)
  111. UB40 – Red red wine
  112. Dead or Alive – You spin me around
  113. Whitesnake – Here I go again 87
  114. Fine Young Cannibals – She’s drives me crazy
  115. Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan – Especially for you
  116. Dolly Parton – 9 to 5
  117. Richard Marx – Right here waiting
  118. The Smiths – How soon is now
  119. Peter Cetera – Glory of love
  120. Neil Diamond – Love on the rocks
  121. Styx – Mr. Roboto
  122. Wet Wet Wet – Angel Eyes
  123. U2 – Desire
  124. Jason Donovan – Sealed with a kiss
  125. Bobby Brown – My prerogative
  126. Pretenders – Brass in pocket
  127. Miami Sound Machine – Anything for you
  128. Aerosmith – Love in an elevator
  129. Daryl Hall & John Oates – Maneater
  130. Madness – Our House
  131. New Kids on the Block – Hangin’ tough
  132. Anita Baker – Sweet love
  133. Eurythmics – Sweet dreams
  134. Glenn Medeiros – Nothing’s gonna change my love
  135. Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack – Tonight, I celebrate my love
  136. Van Halen – Jump
  137. Marvin Gaye – Sexual Healing
  138. Duran Duran – The Reflex
  139. Taylor Dayne – Tell it to my heart
  140. Joy Division – Love will tear us apart
  141. Run DMC – Walk this way
  142. Level 42 – Lessons in love
  143. Boston – Amanda
  144. Janet Jackson – What have you done for me lately
  145. Donna Summer – This time I know its for real
  146. Enya – Orinoco flow
  147. Robin Beck – First time
  148. Traci Chapman – Fast car
  149. Gypsy Kings – Volare
  150. Earth, Wind and Fire – Let’s groove
  151. The Cure – Lovesong
  152. INXS – Need you tonight
  153. Fleetwood Mac – Little lies
  154. Tears for Fears – Shout
  155. Michael Bolton – How am I supposed to live without you
  156. Pat Benatar – Love is a battlefield
  157. Ottawan – D.I.S.C.O
  158. Rod Stewart – Baby Jane
  159. Nena – 99 Luft balloons
  160. Don Henley – The boys of summer
  161. The Weather Girls – It’s raining men
  162. Sister Sledge – Frankie
  163. Chaka Khan – I feel for you
  164. Christopher Cross – Arthur’s Theme (Best that you can do)
  165. Poison – Every rose has its thorn
  166. Paul Young – Everytime you go away
  167. Debbie Gibson – Foolish beat
  168. The Rolling Stones – Start me up
  169. Kajagoogoo – Too shy
  170. Slade – My oh my
  171. KC and the Sunshine Band – Give it up
  172. Gloria Estefan – Don’t wanna lose you
  173. Depeche Mode – People are people
  174. Commodores – Nightshift
  175. The Communards – Don’t leave me this way
  176. Paul Simon – Late in the evening
  177. James Ingram & Linda Ronstadt – Somewhere out there
  178. Philip Bailey and Phil Collins – Easy lover
  179. Dire Straits – Money for nothing
  180. Captain & Tennille – Do that to me one more time
  181. R.E.M – The one I love
  182. Roy Orbison – You got it
  183. Billy Idol – Eyes without a face
  184. Elaine Page and Barbara Dickson – I know him so well
  185. John Cougar – Jack and Diane
  186. Renne and Renato – Save your love
  187. Kelly Marie – Feels like I’m in love
  188. Bucks Fizz – Making your mind up
  189. Goombay Dance Band – Seven tears
  190. The Flying Pickets – Only you
  191. Smokey Robinson – Being with you
  192. Doctor and the Medics – Spirit in the sky
  193. Boris Gardiner – I want to wake up with you
  194. T’Pau – China in your hand
  195. Yazz and the Plastic Population – The only way is up
  196. Marc Almond ft. Gene Pitney – Something’s gotten hold of my heart
  197. Mike and the Mechanics – The living years
  198. Sade – Smooth operator
  199. Alphaville – Big in Japan
  200. The Specials – Ghost town
Til the next beat…

At Ease!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ultimate Quarantine Playlist

It has indeed been sometime since I took some time off to create a playlist. This time, I had a lot of time on my hands, considering I had 1...