Although we may be just recovering from the hangover of the Grammys, award season is still not over. March kicked off with the 2017 iHeartRadio Music Awards where Justin Timberlake won the coveted Song of the Year for Can’t Stop The Feeling! The Innovator Award was bestowed on Bruno Mars while the Male and Female Artists of the Year were won by Drake and Adele respectively. Katy Perry and Skip Marley performed their newest hit Chained to the Rhythm for the third award show in a row. Ed Sheeran performed a medley of Castle on the Hill and Shape of You and Bruno Mars performed a medley of Treasure and That’s What I Like. Other big winners of the night include:
· Best New Artist: The Chainsmokers
· Best Duo/Group of the Year: Twenty One Pilots
· Rock Song of the Year: Green Day – Bang bang
· Country Song of the Year: Dierks Bentley – Somewhere on a beach
· Dance Song of the Year: The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey – Closer
· Hip-Hop Song of the Year: Drake ft. Wizkid and Kyla – One dance
· R&B Song of the Year: Rihanna ft. Drake – Work
· Latin Song of the Year: Enrique Iglesias ft. Wisin – Duele el corazón
· Best Lyrics: Justin Bieber – Love yourself
· Best Producer: Benny Blanco
· Best Tour: Coldplay – A Head Full of Dreams Tour
· Best Video: Fifth Harmony ft. Ty Dolla $ign – Work from home
Next up we have the 2017 Kids’ Choice Awards. There were only two performances during the show – Machine Gun Kelly and Camila Cabello with Bad Things and a medley of Touch and Shout Out To My Ex by the Little Mix. Favorite Song was won by Work From Home by Fifth Harmony featuring Ty Dolla $ign. Favorite Group went to Fifth Harmony while Favorite Male and Female Artists went to Shawn Mendes and Selena Gomez respectively. The other winners of the night for music were:
· Favorite New Artist: Twenty One Pilots
· Favorite Music Video: Zay Hilfigerrr and Zayion McCall – Juju On The Beat
· Favorite DJ/EDM Artist: Calvin Harris
· Favorite Soundtrack: Suicide Squad
· Favorite Global Music Star: Little Mix
Rock n’ roll legend Chuck Berry died at the age of 90 from cardiac arrest. On March 18, 2017, police in St. Charles County, Missouri, were called to Berry's house, where he was found unresponsive and pronounced dead at the scene. Berry was set to release “Chuck”, his first studio album in more than 35 years. More on musician deaths, the remaining members of Sister Sledge confirmed that their sister Joni passed away at the age of 60 from natural causes which arose from complications from a preexisting condition. They also vowed to continue touring as a duo.
Moving onto chart news, in the US Ed Sheeran’s Shape of You reigned supreme throughout the month accumulating 7 non-consecutive weeks at the top. Meanwhile, Katy Perry featuring Skip Marley’s Chained to the Rhythm debuted at No.4 and The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk’s I Feel It Coming, Rihanna’s Love On The Brain, The Chainsmokers & Coldplay’s Something Just Like This and Clean Bandit featuring Sean Paul and Anne Marie’s Rockabye entered the top 10.
In the UK too Shape of You continued the apparent global dominance alongside the debut of Sheeran’s latest album ÷ which topped album charts worldwide and the singles therein peaking within the singles charts. During the week of the debut nine of the top 10 were by Ed Sheeran. The most notable out of these singles are Galway Girl, Perfect and How Would You Feel (Paean). Other than this Martin Jenson’s Solo Dance, Kygo & Selena Gomez’s It Ain’t Me, Drake’s Passionfruit and Clean Bandit featuring Zara Larsson’s Symphony all entered the top 10.
Other songs which became popular during the month were:
1. Jason Derulo ft. Nicki Minaj & Ty Dolla $ign – Swalla
2. Kodak Black – Tunnel vision
3. Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean & Migos – Slide
4. Anne Marie – Ciao Adios
5. Ed Sheeran – New man
6. Lana Del Rey – Love
7. Inna – Gimme gimme
Till the next beat...